Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Our Homeschool Garden - Install Day!

Finally! It's warm enough in Michigan to put the garden in the ground - woohoo!!! Now, weather here is rather moody, so hopefully the threat of "frost" is truly over, so pray along with us. 


If any of you know me... a garden is something I have NEVER done and a green thumb is usually non-existent with me, so this is going to be an interesting time.  What I do know is that I will be out VERY early in the morning and out LATE in the evening time to tend to the garden... why? Because I am absolutely terrified of bees! I know it's weird, but those things scare me to death.  I can handle spiders, bugs, snakes... but a bee?! No way - I'm running in the opposite direction! Of course, I've had to come to grips with this fear of mine and find a way to overcome it because the last thing I want is for my son to gain a fear of them because of ME! So... that's why I choose to go out early and late! 


Our garden install day was HOT, we actually hit near 90 degrees! Thankfully it wasn't humid too.  I guess we should have waited for this weekend... it's in the 70's, go figure! But I got burnt as usual, the only color I see is LOBSTER on my skin no matter how much sunscreen I use or try to protect my skin, I still get burnt.  But it's all good, the garden is pretty!!!


I don't have pictures of Jordan and I painting the garden boxes... and that's because I'm usually the one taking the pictures.   But here some pictures of our install day...


He filled his wheel barrel all by himself and dumped it in the box, back to get some more!

Daddy mixing up the compost, dirt, and manure.

Jordan found his hoe.

I LOVE those gold sunglasses!

When can I dig???

Cool down time!!!





Daddy took a turn down the slip-n-slide too!


Finally planted and a tired boy!





All dried off now and everything is planted.  He went to counting all the plants.


In our garden we have planted the following:
Black Prince Tomatoes
Pineapple Tomatoes
German Tomatoes
Wojo's Top Pick Tomatoes
Rainbow Peppers
Jalepeno
Sorento
Carrots
Green Onion
Broccoli
Caesar Lettuce
Green Beans
Cucumber (vine)
Cucumber (bush)
Watermelon
Pumpkin
Zuchini
Sugar Snap Peas

If you have a garden, what did you plant this year?

Blessings!
~Bekah

2 comments:

  1. My husband does our garden and I really don't know half of what's in there, but here are a few things: spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, peas, beans. We also have blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peach tree, nectarine tree, plum tree. And dozens of other things I'm sure! Have fun with your garden. What a great learning tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I wonder if fruit is harder to grow... I know it will definitely be harder to keep the pesky squirrels away from. I'm still trying to find a deterrent for them things! :P That's awesome your husband grows so much for the family!!!

      Delete