What's in the Bible? Vol. 1 - In The Beginning: A comical, entertaining, educational, and musical film all in one. This volume is divided into two parts, Part 1 - What's in the Bible? and Part 2 - Genesis. Part 1, covered quite a bit from what is the Bible to what is the Bible about and a complete breakdown of the Bible. When they ask "what is the Bible?" they visit a scientist who tells you the Bible is a book that is covered in cow's skin to a Sunday School Teacher who tells you the Bible is a book and is not a book! Sounds confusing, right? Well, it's actually quite funny and enlightening all at the same time. And in the end you find out that the Bible is in fact a book wrapped in cow's skin that is a book and is not a book because it is comprised of many books that cover a wide range of topics from history to poetry to letters to gospels to end of the world, which in fact has over 40 authors that have been inspired by God's thoughts to write their part in the Bible. Now that's a WHOLE lot of information all in one bit, eh? Good thing, the Sunday School Teacher has a magic flannel board to help keep it all in small nuggets, so that you get everything that is being taught to you. At the end of Part 1, you'll come back to an eight year old that is not afraid to speak his mind, who then tells you what the Bible is and then will say, "that's great! but what about Genesis, I still know nothing about this book!" Which then brings you to Part 2...
Part 2 is just as lively as Part 1 and full of entertainment. They give a recap of what was learned in Part 1 and then expands on into who wrote the Bible. Which of course is like over 40 authors and defines what "inspired by God" means, "God-breathed", so the entire Bible is inspired by God or the words are "God-breathed". And then of course this lively eight year old comes back in with and what about Genesis? Oh yeah! So, we are introduced to a couple brothers who sing an enticing song all about Genesis, really catchy tune, my almost 2 year old LOVED this song and watched the entire song part. You'll learn all about the Book of Genesis just in this one song that Genesis means "beginning", God spoke everything into existence, sin was wiped out with a flood, and so much more they would like to add into the song.
All in all, for just two parts that aren't very long to watch, about 25 minutes each, you'll gain insight into the Bible in a doctrinal way. It's like going to Bible School only you get a comedian, concert, newscast, and teacher all in one - oh and you can't forget the inescapable commercials about "ponies". This movie Phil Vischer created is great for children's ministry leaders/volunteers, parents, homeschoolers, teachers in private schools, or just the young at heart that want to learn more about the Bible in a child's viewpoint. Hey! The Bible does tell us to "come as a child" - I still love to learn like a child. I highly recommend this DVD for helping you teach your children about the Bible. This alone can be a curriculum all within itself!
There were only two concerns I found in this movie and these are my personal opinion. I highly suggest as I always do, whatever movie you choose to watch, pray and ask God to give you spiritual discernment, so you know how to weed out truth and man-made statements.
1. The authors of the Bible wrote based upon inspiration from God, but it's stated in the movie with an expansion that though they were inspired thoughts and ideas from God, they chose what to write. I don't agree with this because the Bible is VERY clear that God's Word is clearly inspiration from God. I will not give any doubt to the Bible that there is "human" expression or thought placed into it because that will give leeway to those groups who want to say that the Bible is nothing more than a storybook or myth/legend. In no way, did this movie give the expression that the Bible is a storybook or myth/legend, it did a VERY good job of not giving that. But this statement within the movie just didn't set well inside of me.
2. There is part in the movie that talks about how long is a day. The movie expresses two different opinions and states we don't truly know. But the Bible is VERY clear that in the heavenly realm a day is like a thousand years. Which does point that God has no span of time. But to state that "millions of years" could actually be truth, gives into the fact that secular scientists could be right. When in fact, that's not truth. Science is contradictory on their carbon dating all the time and still can't prove the age of the earth or even age of rocks or trees, it's nothing more than a mere guess, a hypothesis, per say. It just didn't set well that we would even question how long a day is, when the Bible is clear about how long a day is. The Bible is truth and we should not question it.
Characters You Will Meet
What's in the Bible? allows you to meet a bunch of different lively characters, I'll name and cover a few of the ones that my family fell in love with...
1. Buck Denver - the man of News!
This is a lively newscaster who gets sidetracked now and then, but all in all sets out to find the answer to your tough questions!
2. Sunday School Lady
Don't tell her she's old, but here's a Sunday School teacher with all the down low! And her magic flannel board is pretty awesome!
3. Clive and Ian
Archaeologist brothers who love nature, but one of them has a fascination with ponies! Yep, the shout outs to "ponies" attracted my 6 year old son's attention and now everywhere I go I hear "ponies!!!!"
There are soooo many things you can pull out of this movie to discuss as family or in a class setting or for homeschool or whatever. Here are few things to get you started:
1. What is the Bible?
2. What is your favorite book of the Bible? Why?
3. What do you use the Bible for?
4. Do you believe everything in the Bible? Why or why not?
This movie is PACKED full of soooo much information, I could give you a full post alone on activities to supplement with it for reinforcing, but I'll just give you a few. If you want more, let me know.
- OLD or NEW Game
On two pieces of paper, write "OLD" on one and "NEW" on the other. Tape on separate walls. Call out a book of the Bible and have the kid(s) run to the wall they think it's found in. Keep score and see how they did!
- Author Memory
Make cards, one set with the authors and one set with the books of the Bible. Play a game of memory where you have to match the author to the correct book of the Bible that author wrote.
- Genesis Timeline
Have your kids draw pictures on papers to make a timeline of the events recorded in Genesis.
Alright, so now you have a synopsis of What's in the Bible? DVD #1 - In the Beginning... so, I'd like to share with you, if you don't own this DVD, you can get it right now at Family Christian for ONLY $9.97 - hurry, limited quantities and this deal ends December 24, 2014.
Family Christian who sent me this DVD to watch and write an objective review has given me a $10 Appreciation Certificate to giveaway to one of my lucky readers. Enter below in the rafflecopter (may take a second to load). Winner will be announced on Monday, December 15, 2014 and you will have 48 hours to claim your prize or a new winner will be selected.
DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL PROVIDED: I received a copy of this DVD from Family Christian for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review, nor was I required to post a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely are my own. This post contains NO affiliate links.
Have Fun and Be a Blessing!