Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week 1 School Board

I finally finished our Week 1 School Board, but I think this will be used for Week 2 as well.  Since we only have school 3 days a week because I work part-time, I think I'll stretch out over 2 weeks instead of trying to push everything into one week.  Less stress for me.

Here is our Week 1 School Board:

Letter: I i
Shape: Circle
Color: Black (Biblical Meaning = SIN)
Number: 1, One, Biblical Meaning = Beginning
Vocab Word: Indian
Verse: Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Sound: "-ig" (attached reading words with the pictures underneath)


We use our board as part of our circle time to introduce the main points of learning for the week.  At the end of the week, I give an assessment test to see how much my little guy remembered of the board and the activities we did to get an idea of what we need to work on more.  Primarily we concentrate on recognition, identification, spelling, reading, and memorizing.

Our vocab words change each work with the letter we study, since we are using Abeka curriculum this year, the vocab word is "indian".  He learned a sentence, "Capital I. Little i. The i says "i" as in indian."  Then I work on spelling of the vocab word with different activities, like file folder games or hangman or seek and find or scrabble words, etc.  We also do discussion time around "indians" or Native Americans, where we will learn what type of homes they lived in, their musical cultural importance, and we'll talk about their way of life - hunting and foods they ate, clothes they wore, etc.

Since we will be working more on reading this year, our sound of the week is the "ig" word family.  I printed up "ig" words and put corresponding pictures underneath the word.  I did it this way because my son can read 3 and 4 letter words on his own, but I wanted him to actually read the word, not just associate the word with the picture.  So, this way he sounds out the word, reads it, then lifts it up to see if the picture matches what he read.  He loves this, as it gave him a challenge!

Do you create or use a pre-made board for circle time? Please feel free to share!


Have Fun and Be a Blessing!
~Bekah


No comments:

Post a Comment