Sunday, January 11, 2015

Embracing a Year of Rest

2015 is our year of rest.  Why? Because the number 15 means "Rest".  I embrace this year and can't wait to see what God has in store for us and to learn more about His Rest!


So how do you rest with an elementary aged child, a toddler that is turning 2, and a newbie coming in April?! My only answer to that is this...

What does "rest" mean Biblically? Let's go to the greek definition... "to cease, to be refreshed, to settle down, to abide".  I don't know about you, but I could use a little bit of ALL those in that definition!  I just know there will be things God will cease this year, refresh this year, settle down this year and He's going to teach us to abide in Him more than we ever have before.

How do you rest? I would love to think of it as being able to curl up on my couch with a cup of hot chocolate and a warm blanket and do nothing! But, I don't believe that is God's definition of rest at all.  It doesn't mean being a couch potato.  In fact, God is showing me it has much to do with "trust". How much do you trust God with EVERY thing? That was a tough question for me because at first I could say, everything, but when I truly thought about it and started really looking at things, I didn't trust Him with everything.  In fact, many things I still have control over and turn to Him when I need Him to intervene.  God has been teaching me that isn't what He wants.  He wants more, in fact, He wants all my trust, even in the things I have control over or think I have control over, so that He can turn it into much MORE.  Because His thoughts are higher than mine and His ways are higher than mine.

This year is about full surrender to Him in every aspect of my life! I want to be able to abide so fully in Him, that the "me" side that wants to take control decides to just step back and wait.  God started showing me that full surrender, full abiding, full rest comes when I let go and let God.  It reminds me of the verse in Psalm that says to wait patiently on the Lord to act.  When we act, God waits, but when we wait, God acts! There is more God wants to bestow on us... but are you acting or waiting?! I choose to wait this year, because I want more, I need more, and I need a refreshing!

What about you? What does 2015 hold for you?

~Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment